Nonprofits, social enterprises and socially responsible businesses are pillars of our communities. At Bain, we're proud to apply our expertise, passion and energy to helping these organizations do even greater things.
Pro bono consulting
Pro bono assignments typically operate much like our for-profit engagements. That is, we agree with the client on objective and scope, and proceed through the project in a similar fashion. We also draw from the same Bain toolkit, tailoring our approach to meet the client's needs.
Through our pro bono consulting, we enable you to make a powerful impact on organizations that produce great social value. It's a dramatic example of how Bain fosters the personal development of our employees.
But these engagements also present great "step-up" opportunities for consultants and associate consultants. You'll serve as the client CEO's close adviser. You'll identify areas for improvement, and develop and execute a plan that achieves measurable results. The lessons you learn will help with everything else you do at Bain.
Our people contribute their ingenuity to help non-government organizations, foundations and community groups prosper in the many countries where Bain operates. Here are just a few ways we're making a difference throughout the world:
- Rowe Elementary School (Chicago): Our consultants used a data-driven approach to design and plan a new K-8 public charter school in the low-income West Town community in Chicago, based on best practice research and close collaboration with school leadership. The school opened in Fall 2009; and in its first year of operation has already demonstrated significant academic gains. The Chicago office has continued to support the school with ongoing volunteer support, thought leadership on specific projects, and Board-level engagement. Read more
- Teach For America (New York): Bain joined Teach For America in building the movement to eliminate educational inequity by helping to identify areas for cost cutting while growing our organizational impact. In developing and vetting more than 30 non-personnel cost saving ideas, Bain enabled Teach For America to develop new strategies for key operational areas such as human resources, technology, finance, and development. With the savings in ongoing expenses, Bain made it possible for Teach For America to place 150 additional corps members this year than otherwise would have been possible, and set the platform for savings going forward as the organization grows.
- 100 Black Men of America (Boston): 100 Black Men of America is a national nonprofit aimed at educating and empowering African American children and teens. As 100 Black Men of America grew, it experienced challenges in managing a larger organization. The autonomous nature of its 100+ chapters resulted in issues with consistency, inefficiencies across chapters and lack of a clear definition of success. Bain provided pro bono support to help the organization define a single strategic vision and a consistent set of objectives and goals to align the chapters. The organization has seen an increased success rate in fundraising with a clearer message, increased growth within the chapters and a better success rate on helping African American youth succeed in education.
Community and family development
- City Year (US): Bain was essential to City Year's founding and has been integral to the organization's development for more than 20 years. Twelve pro bono case teams have helped transform the US urban peace corps' operations, making it one of only 14 (of the 183,000 nonprofits started since 1971) to achieve annual revenues of US$40 million-plus. Thousands of Bain consultants' volunteer hours have supported the 1,500 corps team members in providing over one million hours of service each year and then furthering their educations or landing their ideal jobs after their City Year experiences. Read more
- Business Action on Homelessness (London): When homelessness became an acute problem in the United Kingdom in the late 1990s, Bain joined with other senior business leaders to establish an innovative way to tackle the issue. Business Action on Homelessness (BAOH) supports homeless people in gaining and sustaining employment through training, work placements and job coaching and by campaigning for the removal of barriers to work. Bain played a pivotal role in establishing BAOH as a credible and effective force for change, persuading businesses to provide support to homeless people and helping BAOH to expand its activities to 23 cities across the UK. Bain continues to play a key role, providing operational and strategic counsel at a national and local level. Together, BAOH and Bain have helped thousands of people gain experience and return to work or further their education. Read more
- Florence (Tokyo): This organization provides babysitting services for mothers who can't stay home to take care of their sick children. Bain helped Florence to clarify its overall strategy and address pricing issues. Read more
- Clinton Foundation, HIV/AIDS Initiative (New Delhi): When this foundation launched an institute to train its dedicated nurses, our people created a successful business plan and provided implementation support.
- PlaNet Finance (Paris): Bain has worked with PlaNet Finance, a global microfinance organization, to refresh their overall strategy and define their fundraising and organizational approaches. With Bain's help, PlaNet Finance focused in on high impact business lines and geographies, while increasing their impact on the ground and with key international partners. Now serving over 80 countries and supporting 1,500 microfinance institutions who finance more than nine million people, PlaNet Finance is realizing its mission to alleviate poverty.
- Fundação Amazonas Sustentavel (São Paolo): Bain provided fundraising and organizational structure strategies to help Brazil's Fundação Amazonas Sustentavel (FAS) turn Amazon communities into "guardians" of the forest. FAS provides local residents with additional sources of income and basic needs - like schools and healthcare – as long as they don't cut down trees or threaten biodiversity in other ways. With Bain's assistance, FAS was able to raise R$100 million to benefit local Amazon communities and avoid irreversible deforestation.
- Nature Conservancy of Canada (Toronto): NCC is Canada's leading national land conservation organization, and since 1962 has helped to conserve more than two million acres of ecologically significant land across Canada. Over the years they have grown organically with quite dramatic growth in the past three years. In 2008 Bain was engaged to help NCC review its operational and decision making processes, and undertake a project to improve those judged to be most important. Later, Bain also worked with NCC to help determine the most effective structures in its fundraising and other functional teams, allowing NCC to continue to deploy its financial resources in the most effective manner across Canada.
Art/sports and health
- Special Olympics (Mexico): Special Olympics Mexico reached out to Bain to help grow their reach and increase the quality of their programs. With Bain's support, the charity prioritized regional programs for investment, identified additional service offerings and tapped into new sources of funding from individuals and local governments. Special Olympics Mexico is working toward their goal of becoming the regional leader, helping over 10% of the disabled population to become physically fit, productive and respected members of society through sport.
- World Heart Federation (Germany): Cardiovascular disease is the #1 cause of death for women worldwide. "Go Red for Women" is a heart-health awareness raising and educational campaign started in the US and licensed to the World Heart Federation for international expansion. The organization turned to Bain for help with their growth strategy, working jointly to identify the highest priority markets, required activities and global sponsors. Today, the "Go Red for Women" campaign is active in 44 countries.
- The Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada (HSFC) has funded more than $1B in medical research and has been an international leader in CPR and emergency cardiac care for more than 40 years. In collaboration with HSFC, Bain & Company helped develop a national strategy for HSFC's CPR training program. Bain continues to support HSF by playing an advisory role on an HSFC strategic planning initiative.
- Red Cross Donor support (Madrid): Improving donor loyalty in the Spanish nonprofit sector: The economic downturn has had a significant impact on the ability of nonprofits to hold on to its regular donor subscriber base. In 2009, Bain joined forces with nine of the largest nonprofit organizations present in Spain, such as UNICEF, the Red Cross and Medecins sans Frontiers, to enhance their donor loyalty strategies and create a sector-wide action plan to address the problem. The effort involved bringing large companies to share best practices learned as well as an in-depth study of actionable root causes of donor defection. The success of the collaboration has led Bain to repeat the exercise on an annual basis, monitoring progress and assisting the nonprofits to making long-lasting changes to their loyalty practices.
- Jet Li One Foundation (China): Bain shared its expertise to help Jet Li One Foundation become China's first nongovernment-based public foundation. Bain supported the foundation's start up by helping to crystallize One Foundation's mission and redesigning the business model. Bain also helped develop a successful mass-market fundraising strategy in a country unaccustomed to philanthropy. Bain's recent profiling of China's emergent nonprofit landscape has enabled the foundation to identify the areas of greatest need. In 2009, One Foundation recognized Bain's contribution with its Strategic Partner Award. Read more
- World Childhood Foundation (Stockholm): Bain's multiyear partnership with World Childhood Foundation of Sweden has created a platform for sustainable growth for the organization. Dedicated to addressing the social, emotional and material poverty of marginalized children round the world, Childhood has distributed more than US$40 million to more than 500 projects. Bain's work has helped Childhood's executive board focus on fewer, more impactful projects, strengthen its fundraising base and build the organizational capacity to improve the living conditions of the world's most vulnerable children.
Work with socially-oriented corporations and governments
Providing pro bono work to charities, foundations and social enterprises is one critical way to use our skills and passion to have a positive impact on our world. An equally important path is to work with our core clients directly on socially relevant issues. We have a strong track record in a number of areas. Though we need to keep and preserve confidentiality for our clients, read more below on the types of work we undertake.
We work with a diverse range of clients on sustainability issues ranging from alternative energy and renewables to waste and recycling to value chain accountability. Some examples include:
- Supporting major ramp-up of business by managing sales pipeline, account penetration, and commercial execution for a global solar equipment manufacturer
- Developing a business model and financial plan, including market assessment and required capabilities, for a new renewables division of a utility company
- Analyzing future demand and refined the corporate business plan for a fuel cell technology manufacturer
- Defining organic growth and acquisition opportunities for a synthetic fuels manufacturer
- Developing an environmental strategy and action plans to meet environmental targets for a global packaging company
We help national and local governments develop plans to increase the economic and social strength of their territories. For example:
- Creating sector diversification and foreign direct investment plan for a leading Middle Eastern nation
- Helping a regional government in Spain optimize their portfolio of state-run enterprises to achieve economic development goals
- Working with the investment arm of a trade union to improve triple bottom-bline returns from their social enterprise holdings
We work with leading higher education institutions around the world to improve their effectiveness and enhance their ability to achieve their educational mission. For example:
- Working with a leading state university to improve their operating cost structure to create a sustainable infrastructure and free up funds for core education and research agendas
- Supporting a state university to improve its recruitment, retention, progression, and graduation of Hispanic/Latino students
- Assisting a major international business school to identify how it should organize itself to achieve its target growth objectives
Much of our work in the healthcare industry helps leading institutions deliver on ambitious agendas to improve medical knowledge and access to high quality care. For example:
- Supporting a prominent non-profit medical research to develop a 7-year strategic plan, including a long term vision, required points of differentiation and detailed strategic initiatives
- Working with a publicly funded, university affiliated hospital group to test the feasibility of a proposed new hospital and research center
- Facilitating exploration of a possible strategic collaboration between a leading hospital and top-ranked medical school