Each career path at Bain is different. You can tailor your Bain path with the experiences you want to gain. Each day and each assignment exposes you to new people, industries, and insights.
You have many opportunities to complement your consulting work. In fact, in 2009 Consulting Magazine ranked Bain #1 for both Career Development and The Job.
Case work variety
You'll gain invaluable experience looking at cases through the lens of a general manager:
- Develop the skill set to ask and answer the toughest questions
- Learn to act decisively
- Make a personal impact regardless of the challenge or environment
You'll work across a wide range of industries, functions, client types, and business issues.
Flexible career path options
Bain strives to ensure that the type of work you're doing fits your changing needs.
- Corporate roles. Sometimes, you may want a break from client-facing roles. Options include development work in specific practice areas, marketing, training, recruiting, and HR.
- Internal leadership. There are numerous opportunities to lead internal Bain initiatives and impact change on the firm. You could head up recruiting on campus or launch an initiative like the Green Team, led by a couple of environmentally-conscious consultants who have changed the way Bain does business. The leadership opportunities are endless.
- Private Equity. Six-month rotations provide a unique insight into business deals. You will also gain quick exposure to Bain's toolkit.
- Transfers/Externships. Transfers provide opportunities to immerse your self in a foreign business environment and culture while working in a familiar Bain setting. Externships offer a chance to work for a client or pursue personal ambitions.
- Pro bono. Contribute to a pro bono case and transform a nonprofit's business. Or take advantage of the unique opportunity to do a private equity rotation with our nonprofit affilitate, The Bridgespan Group.
- Work/life balance options. We have several programs to help you tailor your career: part-time, "Take 2," sabbaticals and leaves of absence. For more, see the Work/life options page.